Baba Ahmed at 70
He was enlisted to the Nigerian Airforce in 1967 during the civil war and immediately after his training, he was posted to Calabar, he moved to Portharcourt and was later transferred to Lagos after which the war ended on 15th January,1970.
Baba as he is fondly called among golfers, has three service medals to his credit in the Airforce :
–National Defence Medal
– Service Medal
– General Service Medal.
He started as a Caddy in Kaduna at Kaduna Golf Club between 1957 – 1964. He was one of the best five in the Caddy competition sponsored by NTC in 1963. As mentioned earlier, the Airforce carrier brought him to lagos in the late 60s where he became one of the founding members of Ikeja Golf Club. His amateur golfing career started at Ikeja Golf Club.
- He represented Nigeria at 1st Ghana/Nigeria Sports Festival in 1974 where he won the only Gold Medal in Golf.
- Three English Gold Union Medal- Handicap 2 and below ( Amateur Golf Championship in United Kingdom) 1979,1981 and 1982
- US Amateur Championship 1983, He represented Nigeria with Douglas Appah as his playmate.
- Ten times Club Champion ( Ikeja Golf Club )
- He represented Nigeria with 4 others including 2ladies in Morocco.
- He won Kaduna Open in 1974
- He won Lagos Open 1977
- NETECO OPEN Portharcourt 1975 and 1976
- Featured in several Nigerian Open Golf Tournaments.
Baba was attached to Air Assault Golf Club and Ikeja Golf Club as a Professional, and later became the Resident Professional of Ekiti Golf Club till date.
On resumption at Ekiti Golf Club, he assumed the post of The Resident Professional, the Course Officer and oversees the day to day running of the club till the club appointed the first Club Manager ( Mr. Toye Alabi )
Baba is happily married to Mrs Olabisi Baba Ahmed and the union is blessed with 4 children and grandchildren.
Baba’s Kitty in Pics